Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Functional Kotlin: Book review

These days I've been on the journey of studying Functional programming and as one of the books, read Functional Kotlin.

I'll leave the review of it.






INDEX
  1. Kotlin - Data Types, Objects
  2. Getting Started with Functional Programming
  3. Immutability
  4. Functions, Function Types, and Slide Effects
  5. More on Functions
  6. Delegates in Kotlin
  7. Asynchronous Programming with Coroutines
  8. Collections and Data Operations in Kotlin
  9. Functional Programming and Reactive Programming
  10. Functors, Applicatives and Monads
  11. Working with Streams in Kotlin
  12. Getting Started in Kotlin
  13. Arrow Types

What I could get from the book

By this book, I could grasp how to write code in functional style with Kotlin. Also, I got many tips of Kotlin itself. As you can see on the INDEX, this book covers wide range. This makes this book useful even to get knowledge Kotlin itself.

What I couldn’t get from the book

I couldn’t deepen my knowledge of functional programming so much by this book. Although this book touches the functional programming itself and mentions practical usage of it, I felt that those are not so deep. Rather, it focuses on how to achieve functional programming style with Kotlin.

Summary

I think the good characteristics of this book is the coverage rate of topics. It covers many topics. So, even to Kotlin beginner, it helps a lot. At the same time, I felt that this lacks the depth of the information of functional programming.

So, I think that if you are already familiar with functional programming and want to write code on the style with Kotlin, this book can be one of the most efficient answers. If you try to deepen your functional programming knowledge itself, I think this book is not so suitable.